Maedi Visna (MV)
Here are all the facts you need to know about Maedi Visna (MV)
- Viral disease
- Introduced to the UK through imported sheep
- Spreads rapidly through flocks especially in commercial flocks
- Caused by Retrovirus
- Names comes from two Icelandic words which describes the signs of MV – Pneumonia & Wasting
- Highly contagious
- Difficult to diagnose
- Is very fatal
- Sheep have no immunity to MV
- No treatment against MV
- Increased culling rate
- Reduced growth weight in ewes and lambs
- Higher lamb mortality
- Increase in premature birth, arthritis, mastitis/tough udders
- Poor reproduction
If you see ewes losing condition after tuping time it could be a sign of MV. It is definitely worth consulting your vet and testing for MV.
For free expert advice, call 01772 690131 and click here for information on all Sheep Health related Problems.
Rest assured we can help you take good care of your flock with our comprehensive range of Sheep Health Care products.