First Thirst FRESH COW DRINK (30 drinks) FREE WHISK
Brand: G Shepherd Animal Health
Product Code: FTFCD30
A palatable Fresh Cow Drink, providing Calcium, Energy and Electrolytes, giving your cow a good start to a great lactation.
FREE BIG METAL WHISK with each order.
FREE MAINLAND DELIVERY
Simple- at calving, give the cow one jug of the powder (700g) whisked into 20 litres of warm water. This a good way of giving calcium to cows. you are giving liquid calcium, so it will act faster, along with the other components - energy, electrolyte salts and fluids.
First Thirst Fresh Cow Drink has vanilla and citrus flavours for palatability and each sachet dissolves rapidly in 20 litres of water which each newly calved cow should drink immediately after calving. View YouTube video
Now also available in biodegradable packaging, select "Eco-Pack FCD" . We use a wood fibre drum and a biodegradable liner. We still need to use a plastic jug and outer shipping bag, but these can be re-used.
Generous milk production is triggered in the cow at calving, creating a risk of a shortfall between the ability of the cow to mobilise her reserves of calcium and the amount of calcium being drawn from the bloodstream by the newly lactating udder.
The result is the well-known condition commonly called milk fever or hypocalcaemia. Within hours and unseen a normal blood calcium level can fall to half the level required for the normal functioning of the body and if left untreated this can be fatal.
Somewhat less well-known, but more common, is the condition termed sub-clinical hypocalcaemia.
It’s called ‘sub-clinical’ because no obvious symptoms are seen, yet studies have estimated that around 50% of dairy cows can be affected each year.
Sub-clinical levels of lowered blood calcium in the 24 hours after calving increase the risk a wide range of conditions including the placenta being retained, metritis, a displaced abomasum, ketosis, and mastitis
This gives your cows the following benefits:-
- First Thirst Fresh Cow Drink delivers 63 grams of calcium to the newly calved cow.
- The calcium in First Thirst Fresh Cow Drink is in four different forms to provide fast and intermediate speeds of availability to help the cow through the post-calving hours when the need for supplementary calcium is greatest.
- Additional to the 63g of calcium, electrolytes (sodium and potassium) and the fast energy sources of glucose, lactate, lactose and propionate are included in First Thirst Fresh Cow Drink to help the cow’s metabolism immediately post-calving.
- The cows gut and muscles work better if calcium levels are good, so simply the cow will be able to eat more of her ration, which is where there is lots of calcium, energy, fibre...
- Drinking 20 litres of water (weighing 20kg) immediately after calving re-fills and re-ballasts the rumen, helping to avoid developing a displaced abomasum.
First Thirst Fresh Cow Drink is available in 30-drink packs through farm health distributors, contact us on 01772 690131 for your nearest stockist.
G Shepherd Animal Health also delivers direct to farmers. Free next-day on-farm delivery is available either using the 24-hour online form or by calling us on 01772 690131.
What do you give cows for calcium? or how do you give calcium to cows? well, a fresh cow drink like our First Thirst is an efficient and low stress way of giving calcium and other essential nutrients.